Monday 28 October 2013

Halloween Playlist - The Not So Obvious Choices

I haven't held a Halloween party for years but that doesn't stop me from listening to music with a Halloween feel, not that I exclusively listen to it at Halloween. I wanted to start by posting my top 10 not so obvious Halloween songs - these are just generally good songs that aren't quite full on Halloween kitsch or anything to do with the spooky and certainly shouldn't only be listened to at this time of the year but it helps.

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

Halloween - Sonic Youth

Halloween - Mudhoney
(Okay, I couldn't resist, this is a cover of the previous song but to me both are as good and as important)

Halloween - Dead Kennedys

Graveyard - Butthole Surfers

Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group

The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Primus
I just love the video that accompanies the Primus version

Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival 

Tiptoe Through the Tulips - Tiny Tim
I actually seriously love Tiny Tim, this, his most famous song, I've always found quite haunting, searching for the right video to use on YouTube I've come to realise I couldn't have been the only one as it has been used in horror films, just not ones I've watched.

Profondo Rosso - Goblin

Tenebre - Goblin

Now the final one (one of two) is actually from a film Profondo Rosso/Deep Red (1975), an amazing film by one of my all time favourite directors Dario Argento. I also love Goblin, I think they can be credited for some of the best Horror themes ever, I doubt they will ever be surpassed either. A lot of horror films do have great soundtracks but not many can be listened to out of context but Goblin just make amazing tunes Now I'm cheating and featuring two on this list, the second from the film Tenebre (1982) I'm also going to feature one of them on the obvious list as I really can't make up my mind. To me Dario Argento is huge, his films are beyond amazing, everything about them, listening to these has meant I'll be having another full blown Argento season. Just listening to the soundtracks makes me want to watch all of them again. Anyway I'll split the difference, two here and one on the other list.

That's it, I'm sure more will spring to mind once posted, especially not I've started to think about film scores but now onto the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment